Periodontists most frequently deal with periodontitis. Sadly, it can be said that periodontitis is the way „to lose healthy teeth without any particular reason“.
Periodontitis is, after tooth decay, the second most frequent disease of oral cavity. Recession of gingivas and creation of subgingival tartar give rise to activity of bacteria and finally reduction of bone. Thus a tooth becomes loose and finally, if periodontitis is not treated, it ends up by loss of otherwise healthy tooth. The symptoms of periodontitis are bleeding gingivas and bad breath (halitosis).
We can treat it
Most frequent cause of periodontitis is not genetical disposition but an improper dental hygiene and insufficient care of teeth. Yes, periodontitis is a disease which we cause ourselves. The easiesta way to prevent it is to go to a dental hygienist several times a year. They can prevent periodontitis from arising, either by the treatment or the advice how to care about the teeth properly.
If periodontitis has already developed, the damages are usually permanent and irreversible. This is the stage when a periodontist has to start action. In Canadian Medical Care we use unique erbium operational laser with feedback which can determine and efficiently process the affected tissue to make it the least non-disturbing and painless for the patient.
How to prevent gums and teeth?
- unique laser treatment (closed laser curettage = laser dental hygiene or open (surgical) laser curretage)
- sinus lift (addition of artificial bone – preparation for implant) to prevent the disease to spread to other teeth if periodontitis is local.
- gingivectomy (removal of gingiva from periodontal pockets of the tooth)
- gingivoplastics (fixation of loose gingiva)
- surgical covering of revealed tooth base (lobe operation where gingiva is cut, folded and sewed to protect it from further reduction)